Saturday, February 26, 2011

Monterey Chicken and Potatoes

I received this recipe from my friend, Heather.

Monterey Chicken with Potatoes

6 medium red potatoes, cubed
1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup salsa

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil.
Toss potatoes with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter until coated. Arrange in a single layer in the bottom of the baking dish.

Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove pan from oven, and push potatoes out to the sides of the dish. Place the chicken breast halves in the dish. Stir together the remaining butter and lime juice. Brush onto chicken. Return to the oven.

Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. In a small bowl, toss together the cheese, cilantro and salsa. Sprinkle over the chicken and potatoes. Return to the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve with lime wedges.

**************

My changes:

*Hubby doesn't care for cilantro so I usually put in on only one half or just omit it

*I dice the chicken before cooking

*I use russet baking potatoes and leave the skins on (just wash them really well)

*I don't separate the baking time; I add the potatoes and chicken at the beginning and let it cook

No comments: