Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Broccoli and Sausage Casserole (Crock Pot recipe)

This is another keeper from the 365 Slow Cooker Suppers cookbook.
 
I'm not sure I would categorize it as a casserole, but it's not exactly a quiche either. Whatever you'd like to call it -- it's so yummy!!
 
I used Polish kielbasa in place of the smoked sausage -- just a personal family preference.
 
NOTE: I just read the recipe again and I realized it calls for TWO (16 oz) packages of frozen broccoli. I made it with only one packet and it was plenty. I really loved the broccoli in this, but unless you are a broccoli fanatic, you can probably get away with only one package :)
 
Broccoli and Sausage Casserole
 
2 (16 oz) packages frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
1 pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
4 large eggs
1/3 cup baking mix (I used gluten-free Bisquick)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
 
Lightly grease a 4-qt slow cooker. Place the broccoli and sausage in the insert and mix together. In a large bowl, mix together the cheese, milk, eggs, baking mix, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture evenly over the broccoli and sausage.
 
Cover, and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the casserole has browned on top and is pulling away from the sides.
 
Uncover, and continue to cook on HIGH for an additional 20 minutes to release condensation.

No comments: