Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup

I typically do not gravitate toward "broth-y" soups. I like my soups creamy and hearty.
 
Our little family of four has been under the weather for over a week with colds, and yesterday was dreary and cool. I grabbed my new 365 Slow Cooker Suppers cookbook and found this recipe.
 
This soup is amazing! My husband said it is his favorite soup ever. That is saying a LOT coming from my picky-soup-eating husband :)
 
This soup had SO much more flavor than I was expecting.
 
I used gluten-free fusilli pasta and it turned out perfect. We had this with homemade gluten-free bread. This is the perfect comfort food!
 
 
 
Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup (recipe source)
 
1 lb. Italian-style frozen meatballs
1 onion, diced
1 cup chopped baby carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 cup elbow pasta (I used gluten-free fusilli)
2 cups fresh spinach
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
 
In a 6-qt slow cooker, place meatballs, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Add chicken broth and stir in Italian seasoning. Cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours.
 
Stir in uncooked pasta and spinach. Recover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
 
Serve with parmesan cheese.

No comments: