Thursday, October 18, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Stock {made from rotisserie chicken parts}

I recently bought a rotisserie chicken. I pulled all the meat off and then decided to make stock from the bones. I combined a few ideas that I found online and ended up with the best stock. Our kitchen smelled like amazing chicken noodle soup as it cooked!
 
You don't have to add veggies, but I had some that needed to be thrown out so I tossed them in for added flavor.
 
 
I put the following in a 6-qt crockpot:
 
all the bones from a rotisserie chicken
1 onion, peeled and quartered
baby carrots
celery {I left the leaves on}
1 Tbsp white vinegar {this draws extra nutrients out of the bones}
water to completely submerge chicken and veggies {I added water until it was 1 inch from the top of the crockpot}
 
I didn't start cooking it until 2pm, so I cooked it on high for about 6 hours and then cooked it on low overnight. It cooked about 14 hours total.

 
Remove the veggies and bones and throw them away. Strain the stock until it is clear.
 
I got almost 12 cups of chicken stock out of one chicken.

No comments: