Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sweet & Sour Chicken

I am not a big fan of sweet and sour chicken, however it's Hubby's favorite. I thought I'd give this recipe and whirl and see what I thought. It actually is very good. It doesn't have the typical bright red sauce and it's not as pungent as most. I was going to take a picture of the plate all pretty, but then by the time I got the food to the table we ate and I forgot! UGH!

I love it because it allows me to use my electric wok which is one of my favorite kitchen appliances!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 Tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce, divided
1 Tbsp sherry or chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 can (20 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks
2 Tbsp + 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 cups hot cooked rice


In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 Tbsp soy sauce, sherry or broth, salt, garlic powder and ginger; add the chicken. Seal bag and coat chicken; refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to equal one cup. In a bowl, combine 2 Tbsp cornstarch, sugar, and pineapple juice mixture until smooth; stir in the vinegar, ketchup, and remaining soy sauce. Set aside.

Drain the chicken and discard marinade. Place remaining cornstarch in bag. Add chicken and shake to coat. In a large skillet or wok, heat oil until hot; stir fry chicken until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.

Stir pineapple juice and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Add chicken and pineapple chunks. Heat through. Serve with rice.

No comments: